Making homemade soap can be fun and rewarding, it also can be complicated and dangerous without proper knowledge. Below are some basic soap making tips we put together to help simplify things, keep you safe and have you enjoying your wonderful new homemade soap in no time!
Soap Making Safety Tips
- Pour lye into water, NEVER pour the water into the lye. Do this outside or in a garage to avoid the harmful fumes.
- Use you soap making supplies for soap making. Create a kit so you have it all in one place. Lye and food don’t mix.
- Wear gloves and safety goggles while handling lye. Lye is typically used as a drain opener and extra safety precautions need to be taken when handling. Keep vinegar handy in case of accidental contact with skin. Lye coming in contact with your eyes will cause blindness.
- Wear clothing that covers your arms, leg and feet. We are making soap not going to a fashion show, be safe and cover up.
- Have a safe working area, free of distractions. Children running around or your cat jumping in to get a peek of the action can lead to bad if not horrible experiences.
- Mix on a steady surface, sinks or a clean counter top with plenty of space are a good choice.
- Never use an aluminum pot for making soap!
Time Saving Soap Making Tips
- Us an electric hand mixer.
- Measure ingredients accurately and with a quality scale. If you get this wrong or say “that’s close enough” you’ll most likely be throwing the entire batch away and starting over.
- Old plastic food containers work great as soap molds.
- When curing your soap, cover with an old blanket or towel to keep the heat in.
- Like us on Facebook to get new soap making ideas, recipes and tips.
Buy Soap Making Supplies
We hope these soap making tips help keep you safe and enjoying making soap at home. If you have any questions or have a tip to add, please leave us a comment and we will be sure to respond or consider adding it to our list. To learn more about how to make homemade soap don’t miss our other articles!