Try this simple cold process soap recipe, perfect for beginners. You can later customize this recipe adding additives such as color, essential oils and more. Take a look at our soap making tips to keep you safe and saving time. Enjoy!
- 10 oz olive oil
- 6 oz coconut oil
- .45 oz castor oil (1 Tbsp)
- 6 oz distilled water
- 2.25 oz lye (sodium hydroxide)
- Safety goggles
- thick rubber gloves
- A good scale
- 2 32 oz measuring cups
- Glass bowl
- Plastic or silicone spoon (used for stirring)
- Stainless steel whisk or hand blender
- Small cardboard box or container
- Plastic bag, plastic wrap or parchment paper for lining cardboard box
- knife for cutting
- Line cardboard box or container with plastic bag, plastic wrap or parchment paper
- Put on PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Weigh the lye. Pour 2.25 oz in glass bowl
- Measure out the water. Pour into one of the glass measuring cups
- Pour lye into water slowly and mix until dissolved (be careful not to breath in fumes emitted during this process)
- Measure out oils and melt in microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Make sure the lye water and melted oil are within 20 degrees of each other. Microwave the oil longer if needed. Desired temperature is between 90 and 110 degress.
- Pour lye water slowly into melted oil while mixing.
- Use and hand blender or whisk to mix the mixture until it reaches a gravy like consistency. The temperature of the mixture should rise slightly. If using a whisk this process can take considerable time.
- Pour the soap mixture into your lined cardboard box or container and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let soap mixture sit for two days.
- With goggle and gloves, check your soap after two days. The mixture should now be solid and not have liquid on the top of your molded soap. If it does your soap mixture is lye heavy and is not safe to use.
- Cut your molded soap with a knife to desired thickness.
- Allow your cut soap to cure for three to four weeks.
Don’t have all the ingredients? Purchase them today…
Great prices and lot’s of reviews so you can purchase with confidence.
Have a soap recipe of your own that you would like to share. Share your soap recipe and we’ll give you the credit.